The New Cisco WebEx share is targeted towards making any room into a conference room, sometimes you may have a conference room but not enabled for Video Conferencing, thereby enhancing the conference experience. This product is a low cost option to convert the TV in that room into a high quality collaboration experience whereby one can enable wireless content sharing without the need to connect any dongles to enable it to work. It allows you to book a room, display the calendar on screen and join the meeting with the WebEx Teams Application. The WebEx Teams Application will show you the room in proximity that you are able to connect to. This easily simplifies and enhances the meeting join experience by simply launching the WebEx Teams application and connecting to a device:
If it has identified a device it will show up as such:
The WebEx share is a nice and compact device designed to transform any TV into a WebEx device. This makes use of the great cisco innovations we are used to in a traditional video endpoint packed in a dongle. Turning on the HDTV display is triggered by;
- A person simply entering the room
- A WebEx client app pairing with the room device
- Calendar event scheduled 15 mins before the meeting
- Making noise in the room
The device supports HDMI with a 1080p resolution and 30fps.
You can connect using it in three ways;
- Wi-Fi this is the default option – on powering up with no wired connection it will initiate AP mode, while in this mode it the connection will be secured via WPA2 with a numeric password – once the connection is established AP Mode is disabled. The Dongle supports 802.11ac, an IEEE standard with speeds reportedly reaching 1.3 Gbps,
- PoE – Yes Power over Ethernet, this will plug into any PoE enabled switches
- Wired – Non-PoE
It has Enterprise grade security for wireless by supporting the EAP Protocol suite including PEAP, FAST and TLS. It Supports wired 802.1x port based Authentication & Proxy Support. The EAP/TLS and 802.1x can have local or customer CA signed certificates.
How to provision:
- Login to WebEx Control Hub
- Setup a new ‘place’
- Enable calendar service and associate a calendar mailbox to the ‘place’
- Generate activation code and enter on WebEx Share activation screen
As with any cloud registered webex device, WebEx chare will recognise and greet you upon entrance to the conference room as long (as you have the WebEx Teams App running). This technology is identical to WebEx room kits or the WebEx board.
When a room is reserved you can see the Room Name (top left), Current Time, any current and upcoming meetings:-
Comparison to Competition
There are a number of players in this space, namely Polycom, Crestron, Barco and some others. While they all have Local Wireless sharing in common Enterprise management is offered by some but Meetings and calendar integration is not offered by any except Cisco WebEx Share. The Price it will be released at is incredibly competitive and especially considering the technology it is packed it will be worth it.
This Device will be available Q4 CY 2018 across North America, Australia and Europe, limited orderability is available before that.